Rural Entrepreneurship Project Assistant
Location: Marrakech (Morocco) with significant amount of field work in the High Atlas regions of Azilal and Al Haouz.
Organisational and project overview
The Global Diversity Foundation (GDF) is an environmental and social justice non-profit that nurtures and supports changemakers who are operating at all scales, working across boundaries and differences to find durable solutions to complex challenges. With over twenty years of experience in implementing long-term programmes that empower communities and regenerate biocultural diversity, we provide changemakers with hands-on support and diverse networks that help them create flourishing communities and environments around the world.
Among our initiatives is the Rural Entrepreneurship Project, launched in collaboration with Mowgli Mentoring, IES Social Business School and Moroccan Biodiversity and Livelihoods Association (MBLA) in February 2021. The first phase of the Rural Entrepreneurship Project, titled “Support rural entrepreneurs in Morocco to promote sustainable land-use practices,” targeted High Atlas cooperatives and aimed to assist rural enterprises in Morocco’s High Atlas in growing their businesses and committing to sustainable natural resource management while remaining sensitive to culture and biodiversity.
GDF is leading the second phase of the Rural Entrepreneurship Project in collaboration with MBLA, focused on capacity building and associated services to assist High Atlas rural cooperatives to increase annual revenues through sustainable market value chain development, from production to consumption.
We are looking for a program assistant to support the project coordinator and the overall GDF team in implementing the Rural Entrepreneurship Project. This position will be filled by May 2022.
Full-time hybrid working position with Global Diversity Foundation for 40 hours per week, with the requirement to travel to the High Atlas when necessary.
One year renewable, with a three-month probation period.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the project coordinator with project management, implementation, logistics, monitoring and evaluation;
- Conduct content research, syllabi development, and assistance in hiring consultants;
- Attend and support cooperative training workshops, as well as assist consultants in organising training workshops or providing specified services;
- Engage with cooperatives, local governments, and other partners as required by the project;
- Plan and schedule program meetings, conference calls, and events (reservation of accommodation for beneficiaries…);
- Assist with filing, printing, and distribution of program documents, as well as the recording and taking of minutes and photographs at project meetings and events;
- Collaborate in identifying and engaging new cooperatives and entrepreneurs whose activities revolve around traditional practices and natural resource conservation to join the program;
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of the rural entrepreneurship program, focusing on increase in annual turnover and job creation across all cooperatives;
- Manage the purchase, representation and resale of cooperative products, including in local markets, fairs, and other retail venues;
- Assist in the organization of regional events on the use of local products and the work of rural cooperatives;
- Collaborate with our local partners MBLA and Ecole Supérieure des Arts Visuels (ESAV Marrakech), Emerging Business Factory (EBF) and Université Mohammed VI Polytechnique (UM6P) to ensure the success of our joint projects;
- Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Required Experience and Skills
- A bachelor’s degree or a comparable qualification in a relevant discipline (a relevant postgraduate qualification would be an advantage; applications by candidates with a Masters degree are welcomed);
- 3 years of experience as a project assistant or associate;
- Experience working with rural communities, non-profits and cooperatives in Morocco;
- Advanced language skills (written and oral) in English, French, and Arabic; knowledge of Tamazight is a plus;
- Communication (verbal and written), problem-solving, analytical, and planning skills;
- Excellent working knowledge of the Microsoft and Google suites, conferencing software, and internet use;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with multiple teams, while balancing and prioritising multiple requests;
- Experience in working successfully in a remotely-based team;
- Ability to work unsupervised when necessary with a high level of autonomy and initiative;
- Commitment to our mission and values, and sensitivity to issues of confidentiality;
- Valid driver’s license.
Desirable Experience and Qualifications
- Familiarity with the commercialization of origin-linked products, agroecological practices, and biodiversity conservation;
- Experience in entrepreneurship, sales and maintaining a network of local market relationships;
- Understanding, knowledge, and experience working on the topic of Mediterranean cultural landscapes and nature-culture interactions;
- Demonstrable experience in working in multicultural projects and contexts.
The successful candidate will be required to travel for fieldwork including visits to rural cooperatives and stay in various locations throughout the High Atlas. The successful candidate will be reimbursed for transportation and lodging, and will receive a daily stipend.
What we offer
- Salary based on experience and qualifications.
- Twenty-Five days of annual leave in addition to national public holidays.
- Opportunities to participate in team wellbeing and personal development work.
Send your resume and cover letter (no more than one page) highlighting why you are applying for this position and how your skill set aligns with it, as well as your available start date and ability to attend a virtual interview, to email@example.com by midnight (CEST) on Sunday, April 30th, 2022, with the subject line “Rural Entrepreneurship PA Application – Full Name.”